Pages

Friday, October 15, 2010

A CHANGE FOR ME

Well...it's time I return from the dead. Although I have to admit I still feel somewhat dead. For the first time in my life I had surgery on Monday, October 11, 2010. It was a surgery that is performed every day, multiple times a day. But it was a first for me. So there were a lot of jitters involved. A little back story...

I've had issues monthy for quite some time now. Lots of pain, lots of clotting, lots of varying schedules too. I finally got up the nerve to go to my doctor about it. He was so great listening to my concerns, didn't make me feel like I was over-reacting, exaggerating, or being over dramatic about it. He is a great doctor. He ordered an ultrasound to see if it would show any reasons why I was having "issues". During the ultrasound the tech kept saying, "does this hurt, do you have pain each month, yaddy yaddy yadda..." So I was pretty sure he was seeing something.

Not a serious issue but one that would never go away. I guess I had a spot in between linings or something that collects blood every month and doesn't sluff it off. So that was what was causing me the pain, and then eventually the clotting. The doctor suggested two procedures or living with it the rest of my life. He said it wouldn't ever get better, probably worse.

The two procedures were a Geographical Ablation or a Hysterectomy. The Ablation basically thins down your uterus lining so thin. It supposedly causes less bleeding so he was in hope that that would help with the blood collection. He was very strict about the fact that after this procedure I could absolutely NOT chance getting pregnant because it would be fatal to a baby and me. After doing some research the percentage of woman having to have another ablation and/or a hysterectomy within five years was higher than I was comfortable with.

The Hysterectomy, as most know, takes the uterus and the cervix.

We chose the hysterectomy. Though it had been decided long ago that we were done having kids, I think it was a little emotional knowing that that choice was no longer there. Either procedure and the choice was gone. So I opted for the one that will be most convenient(as in no more monthly cycles, hopefully no more PMS, etc). I used a lot of prayer and advice from friends and family that have had the surgery. I feel like I made the right choice for me.

So here goes the surgery....
The first pics are getting ready. I had to wait in the waiting room for them to call me back. I couldn't wear make-up, product in my hair, contacts, or any polish on my fingers or toes. And I dressed in my "doctor skirt". Thats what I call it cuz it's the lightest piece of clothing I have so I wear it when I have to get weighed...haha, I'm so clever, right! :)

I loved my purple socks! But then they covered them up with booties that pump air into them to keep my blood circulating.
I thought the kids would get a kick out of this picture because of my hair bonnet. This is right before they gave me the "good stuff" to relax me. As soon as they ran it through my I.V. I was dizzy and pretty out of it. I don't remember much from the time they wheeled me into the operating room until after the surgery. Well, actually I remember saying, "so this is an operating room...." And then I woke up an hour and a half later....

My familiy brought me some get well gifts. The first being a Diet Doctor Pepper. I was so excited! The sad thing was that it didn't taste good to me. In fact, it tatest all wrong. I haven't had another one since because I'm afraid of not liking it anymore...sniff sniff. But they brought me the pop, some yummy gum, some chocolates, and the fun balloon. Brent brought flowers that I have pictured below.

Grandma was a lifesaver once again. I know I have raved about my mom but I just have to say once again that I was very blessed to have come to this earth as part of her family. I am so grateful she is my mother. Thank you once again for EVERYTHING, mom!!

Loved having the kids come to see me in the hospital. I was only in the hospital over night but I sure did miss the little tikes!

Brent has been a big help this week as well. He has done some running around, stayed home at nights to help when he would normally be working out(and thats huge), so I appreciate it greatly!

I looked horrible entering the hospital. So the next day when I was cleared to take a "bucket bath" I welcomed it. So here I am looking a little more like myself...

The rest are memorabilia pictures, my water bottle that I have been filling religiously....
 My flowers from Brent - they smelled so lovely and sweet. The nurses loved them too.
 Flowers from Ann, Don, Isabella, and Grandpa Noah...thank you so much!
 And flowers from the Bushman family. Thank you so much!

Thank you to everyone for the phonecalls, the flowers, the texts, facebook posts, the dinner, and prayers. I have great friends, and wonderful family. I am getting stronger and stronger every day ank I know that before long I will be to 100% and loving the decision. Right now I'm going to admit that it has hurt to sit the entire time that I have prepared this post. I'm sick to my stomach from the medication, and have no appetite because when I eat it makes me sick. But that will all pass and I will be healthy happy and loving life!!

I'm also grateful for my Doctor and the nurses that took care of me. They did a fantastic job and were very dilligent in making sure I had whatever I needed. And to my mother for taking care of the kids. It's not easy taking care of small ones. She never once complained or tired of them(or atleast didn't show it). She came prepared to take care of me the kids and anything that we needed done and even right now she is dusting my computer screen. :)

Thank you Brent for helping out even more than normal, skipping some of the activities you usually attend, and recognizing that the recovery will take a bit longer than I, as superwoman, planned. :) I thought I would be 100% after the first day.  Ooops...wishful thinking.


6 comments:

  1. I have wondered where you were! I'm not a facebooker so I didn't know what was happening. I'm sorry you're having to go through this - woman problems are the worst! I'm so happy to see all the support you have received. I will keep you in my prayers for a healthy recovery. Hope you are feeling better physically and emotionally soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you're feeling better! Now, I don't know how a hysterectomy feels, but c-section took me 2 weeks before the pain was pretty much bearable and 8 weeks before I felt all the way normal! Of course, you're a lot more fit than me so it should be quicker for you! Also, the hospital would always give me mylanta before I took my meds. They said it prevents getting neasuous from the meds. Ok....if you need anything....let me know! Feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so mean I should have gotten you flowers instead of lame magazines and cookies. I LOVE the hair net bonnet thing. When I had to wear one I felt hotter than I've ever felt in my life.... then I looked in a mirror...j/k

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinking of you Hilary (yes, I'm a stalker of your blog!) Hope you have a quick recovery. It's fun to see you and your cute family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hil- ONLY YOU would take pictures in the hospital right before surgery! You are awesome! I hope you are back on your feet quick! However I meant it when I said stay in your jammies for at LEAST 2 weeks- a wonderful friend gave me that advice- she said as soon as you get dressed everyone thinks you're now ok and that you don't need help...... Love Ya!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you are doing well! Missed you at church today! Call if you need anything!

    ReplyDelete