It's raining. Has been all night long. Actually, now that I think of it, it's been raining for DAAAAAYS.
But today was the first day, with the rain, that I pushed the garage door button and nothing happened. No lights, no clicks saying something was causing it to fail. NOTHING. My first instinct is that the power is out. But that's not the case since the lights are on in the house. My second instinct is a breaker is tripped. But there isn't a single breaker that has been pushed to the center. My third instinct is to check the garage freezer.
BAM! No light. And I know the problem....the GFI needs to be reset. Easy, right. Push the button...NOTHING. Push it again...NOTHING...again, again, again!!!!! NOOOOOTHING! Well, this isn't exactly foreign territory for us. When we moved from Yuma we had a faulty GFI that un-thawed our freezer. PLUS, I have the added stress of getting the vehicles out to take the kids to school(but that's an easy fix because even I know how to manually open the garage doors).
So after a few tests and trial runs I resort to the fact that we need an electrician. Fair enough. In my frantic state I yell at the kids, "get in the van! We need to get to school!" And at that very moment my day changes....
I confidently walk over to the garage door, pull the emergency line and lift. You would have thought I moved mountains.
"ooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!"
"WoooooooooooooooW!"
"MOM! How did you do that! You're so strong!"
"It's because she's been working out...."
"Thank goodness you go to the gym. Wow, your muscles are strong....."
"Yay for Mom!! Yay for mom!!!!!"
Am I going to tell the kids that I grew up opening and closing the garage manually? Am I going to tell them that my 85 year old grandmother could open the garage by herself? Am I going to tell them that they, themselves, are strong enough to lift the door?
HECK NO!!!!!
I'm a hero. Today is gonna be a Good Day!
oh...and ps...the massive amounts of rain we've been getting. Well, that's not so great on Christmas lights plugged in to outlets that are connected to a certain GFI in the garage. Yeah...unplug the wet lights and your GFI is fixed! No electrician needed...just a really quick call to dad(Brent was on an airplane).
No growth in the comfort zone!
2 years ago




It's a dang good thing you work out! :) Isn't everything A-MAZ-ING in the eyes of our children! They don't freak out about freezers that haven't had power for who knows how long or being late to school! Instead they are just amazed by Mom's super hero abilities! The simple things! Good reminder! :)
ReplyDelete