I'm feeling a little overwhelmed and under-qualified. For many of my married years I have served in the Young Women's program. We lived in FOUR cities and I've served in FOUR cities. Advisor, counselor, Personal Progress, etc. And in every ward I have loved serving. There is a certain sweet spirit that comes from our teenage girls that is so contagious, it's hard not to love it.
In Pocatello I served for a short stint - almost not long enough to have many memories. In Boise I got to serve for long enough to really get to know the girls, to make fantastic relationships that I hope I will always keep. In Yuma I was with yet another wonderful group of youth and leaders that strengthened my testimony. And now in San Antonio I've experienced the same feelings again. We've had a large group of very strong testimonies and I've appreciated it greatly.
And now it's time to start a new adventure in my life. STILL with the young women but in a different capacity; one I've never been "ready" for. On Sunday I was set apart to be the Young Women's President of our newly divided ward. WE are the new ward. WE are starting from scratch, WE will create the youth program in the best possible way to integrate all the young men and women of our ward.
Instead of 33-35 girls, we have 10-13 girls. And I can honestly say that the last Sunday I taught my Beehive group of almost as many girls that we will have TOTAL, it was a very emotional, sad parting. Their strength, their devotion to the gospel, and their understanding of their true divinity has always been so evident. Every week they strengthen me, every week they amaze me, and every week I'm built up ready to conquer the seven days that follow.
I'm sad to be "divided" from a lot of those girls. But my heart feels so blessed to have kept and gained the ones we have. I'm truly in for a treat. The time of my life. Most the last week I have walked around in circles in a daze and I'm sure I will continue that circle for the next how many years. But I have to be honest with myself....I'm ready. I'm excited. I WANT to be a part of their lives and I WANT them to be a part of mine.
So, with that being said...I'm feeling a little overwhelmed and under-qualified. But if the scriptures are true, and I know they are, the LORD qualifies those He calls. And so my prayers are heartfelt and full.
I'm ready to serve! Let's go for it!!
No growth in the comfort zone!
2 years ago




Yay for you! You will do great! And how nice to have a reasonable number of girls. So much easier to really get to know them and build those relationships. With great counselors (which I hope you have!)and the Lord's help, I know you will be able to build a strong youth program! Those girls are so lucky! You are going to be AWESOME!
ReplyDelete